From its humble beginning as a small cabin that overlooked Clyde Lake, the Woolaroc Lodge ranch house became the country home of Frank and Jane Phillips. Its rustic construction began in 1925 as one of the first ranch structures with a simple cabin that became the Lodge dining room.
The house was completed in early 1927 with eight bedrooms--six guest rooms and two separate, connecting rooms for Uncle Frank and Aunt Jane, each with its own bathroom. There was even a servant's room with its own bathroom connecting to Frank Phillips' room.
It was one of the most unusual lodge type structures of its time and stands today as a classic symbol of the colorful oil boom era.
Not only is the structure unique, but the furnishings were of the classic Lodge style that is popular even today. The house is filled with gifts and artwork. The walls of the Great Room are covered with mounted heads from the Ranch animal collection, in keeping with the Lodge style.
They were not hunting trophies. As the animals died from natural causes, the mounted heads and horns were used as decorations. There are 97 heads and 107 sets of horns.
The ranch and Lodge were used as a place for Frank Phillips to entertain his friends and "close the business deal." It was a place where he could reciprocate the hospitality of the wealthy East Coast investors; a place where he could share his friendship with the local Native American tribal leaders, particularly his close friends Bacon Rind and Fred Lookout with the Osage Nation; and a place where he could rub elbows with local outlaws, bank bandits and train robbers.
The ranch and the Woolaroc Lodge were the place where every element of the local culture could gather and feel welcome. As a result, Frank Phillips' cattle were never rustled and his bank was never robbed. He got all of the oil leases he needed and he obtained almost all of the financing he needed for the business.
The Lodge abounds with tales of the parties, business events and wilder goings-on. There were fabulous games of chance around its large poker table where little things like railroads and circuses sometimes changed hands.
Then there was the time that Blackstone the Magician magically caused the Queen of Spades to adhere to the log wall when Frank threw the whole deck against it—the card remains there today.
And there were the quieter times with a family that grew up enjoying the special atmosphere and activities at Woolaroc.
The Lodge has hosted the world within its walls and it continues to astound those who visit today.